Friday 22 September 2017

OUR FUTURE AMBITION


I’ve been away a long while I know, please forgive me. The hectic nature of life caught up with me, and my love for writing had to take a back bench.
Soooo, like any normal parent, I am invested in knowing what contribution this my Harbinger of Good news will bring to society. Will he be the first Nigerian astronaut? Will he bring the solution to world hunger and peace? Would he be a mega business man, or a routine nine to five Exec? You see this future ambition is ‘OUR’ own. Yes O! Let’s not kid ourselves, following the mantra of let the child be, and follow his own path. As long as my heart and money is inside, it is ‘OUR’ own, and I have a say!
I’ve read several parenting books telling you to support the self-discovery of your child’s latent talent by exposing them to opportunities. Since it seems to make sense, I’ve gone along with it. Every summer it’s a different activity. Catering School, ICT Camp, Sewing and Crafts, Farming, Art, Music, name it! All in the bid to discover ‘our’ self and ‘our’ future ambition. These exposures haven’t been cheap in terms of resources and time. Add that to my natural competitive nature, and you can imagine my frustration when none really seems to take! My Angel, what do you want to be na?!
The maxim of let them be, and follow their own path started to seem interesting to me, so I decided this summer, I was just going to chill, and not stress ‘our’ selves. We’d just do the normal academic offering. If anything he’d be still sharp when school resumes. Which well, let’s face it, a straight A academic kid is quite cool!
So background laid, follow me to the crux of the matter. My nephew, who is spending some time with us, recently had his birthday come around. After dinner, the kids decide to entertain. My bobo O! My angel, and muse of this blog decides to come and rap! See him Rapping and Packing and Dabbing?! To be honest, it wasn’t not such a bad rap that he’s made up, but ehn?! My Son? Rapping?! This ‘Our’ Future Ambition did not include Rap O! I considered sports, music…erm… henh…
Can we as parents ever truly let go of the rope and let these children really be their selves? I am aware of all the great artistes who are fabulously wealthy and have large fan bases, but errr, is that what I as a person would consider value addition to society? Don’t judge me too quickly. It’s just my own two cents, on a very personal investment. Which actually speaks of a larger failing. The same I can’t let go, and let him be happy, being himself; is the very same way I can’t let go and let God’s Plan prevail. The need to ‘help’ God along to discover His good and perfect will, leads most of us (myself obviously included) into unplanned dangers, and valleys of death.
Self-realization hits, and decision time comes. I’ll let go, let him be, as long as he is happy as he defines it, even as I learn that ‘My’ golden life manifests by trusting God

Be Golden, Trust the Ultimate Creator

D2AGE.

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful piece. We really need to allow God and allow our kids discover, learn and explore God's grace in their lives.
    Akan.

    ReplyDelete