Thursday 21 December 2017

Plaintain-ish


I was passing through the market today and decided to get some groceries. A nice, fresh healthy meal, to nourish the body and soul. For those who know me, cooking is therapeutic, and eating good food is….well simply great! I love good food! (Comment below, what’s your favourite meal to eat/cook)

So I’m examining some plantains, and another seller close by pitches in with her opinion, urging me to take another bunch other than what I had selected. The bunch she encouraged me to take were not good compared to the one I was considering. Scrawny, black, immature fingers of plantain! It was however one finger more than my choice. ‘Ah madam, you no get good eye, this plantain fine!’ perhaps it was the sun, because normally I just smile and say thank you at stuff like that. This time however, I managed to hold on to my temper, and just turned my back in a deliberate bluff. Why would you try to persuade me to accept substandard products? If you were the one buying would you select those? Or perhaps she actually thought she was doing me a favour as her selection was (a bit) more.

Back home, preparing my plantain dish, and pondering it over, I draw similarities. It’s another year end. You’re still alone. And ‘friends, well-wishers, family’ would try to ‘offer’ you advice to settle down. ‘What happened to brother so and so? How about that one that used to come around? That fine boy in your office complex nko? His bow leg isn’t too noticeable, or you can teach him to improve his oral hygiene, or (my personal favorite) he needs a woman like you to push him and build him up, to be a real man!’ Biko, Aunty, Park Well! Jesus is the chief builder. Singleness is just another part of life, same as being married is.

So this piece is to us single ladies, 10 more days, yes something can still happen, but regardless, eagerly anticipate 2018 (if Jesus tarries), for YOU. Make those goals, SMASH those goals! Go to that wedding, and have yourself a merry good time! Enjoy the season for You! If you feel like a moonlit stroll, please do so, don’t bemoan the fact that you stroll alone. If you want to go for that party, please do, ignore the comments, dazzle a smile at the looks, a man on your arm isn’t an accessory to be depressed about. Don’t settle, when you know better.

If you want an awesome dish (marriage) pick the right ingredients!

Love you, do YOU, BE GOLDEN!

D2AGE

No comments:

Post a Comment