Monday 4 May 2015

RAHAB'S REALITY

The 2nd chapter in the book of Joshua, tells us about a harlot named Rahab. She audaciously demanded respite for herself and her family from destruction when Isrealites invaded Jericho.Before you start wondering  if I've turned Preacher, I'll assure you that the Bible is an awesome book to read, and learn from.
So why am I talking about a harlot? Here's why -there's a major lesson I recently re-learnt from her, and good friend that I am, am eager to share it with you all. 
There's nothing really spectacular about Rahab. Harlots' those days, practised the same trade, in the same way as the ones these days. They were disdained, lied to, tricked, cheated, taken advantage of... are you starting to get the drift? Without bias, they offered a service for a fee, which you could accept or refuse. Like most relationships. Its NEVER BY FORCE. You choose to accept or refuse the terms of the relationship. Like most relationships also, honesty and fairness is expected. Okay, before I go on another tangent, lets go back to Rahab.
So some strange men come to her house at night, and she realises that they are Isrealites. The Bible doesn't tell us what they came for, so I wouldn't presume. Your guess is as good as mine, right? Lol! So 'Government' became alerted that they were there, and sought to capture them, Rahab OFFERS them succour and LIES for them to escape capture. So what's so fantastic about this? Stay with me, and I'll show you.
Rahab TRUSTED NOT ONLY HER LIFE, BUT THE LIVES OF HER FAMILY TO STRANGERS SHE HAD JUST MET, DESPITE THE HISTORY OF BROKEN PROMISES, LIES, TRICKS ETCETERA.
Don't ask me why she took that risk, or what convinced her. I couldn't give you an answer. This however, was the lesson for me: NO MATTER HOW MANY TIMES YOU'VE BEEN HURT, YOU CAN'T AFFORD TO CLOSE UP, AND SHUT OUT, BECAUSE YOU JUST MIGHT BE SAVING YOUR LIFE.
Keep loving, keep believing, and you will happen upon that pot of Gold.

Don't be bitter, just be Golden
D2AGE.

Photo Credit: "The Pious Harlots" - Fineartamerica.com

No comments:

Post a Comment