Thursday 5 March 2015

How come you're a mom and you're not Married?!

"How come you're a Mom and You're not Married?" asked my soon to be six year old boy. Was I gob-smacked? I mean I knew this question will come, but I just didn't expect it -
1) At this age (What's in the vitamins we give our kids these days?)
2) Phrased like that (How did he know I was prepared for the "Mom, where's my Dad" or "Why are we not living with Dad?" type question)

I start this blog, hoping to understand and reach out to like minds like me who feel similarly confused, afraid, worried, joyous, confident, insecure (in equal parts) and every other adjective that describes what raising a child on your own entails. Roller Coaster? Def' Yeah!

So back to this 5+ year old, who is looking at me, expecting an answer. My African roots with its quick rebuttals first surface "Keep quiet! Don't you know how to respect your elders!" But I look at his dark eyes staring up at me, and I can't utter the words. He needs an answer, its not his fault, and he'd like to know. 
"Oh God help me". My lips move in silent prayer, as I launch into as truthful an explanation as I can give. Hoping that I don't open myself for more (awkward) questions...that he'd love me still.

Going through sites, blogs and other material (Gosh! What an information age we live in!), I find a recurring theme. Single Mom's 'enjoy' a status quo. "Your morals must be loose; The child must surely be suffering; You're desperate for 'saving'"... I actually had someone tell me, "You're not that stupid" "Why didn't you have an abortion?" "Did you hope to 'trap' him?" 
So this is my own 2 cents to every Mom, and unMarried sister- keep the old head up! you're doing a good job- don't let anyone tell you different! you're beautiful, smart and strong! -You had enough sense not to kill/dump/abandon the miracle who calls you Mom!; And seriously, in a world of labels, what's one more label which defines you as a confirmed woman with working internal parts, responsible, loving, nurturing and hard working?! 

Keep living the Life 'cos its Golden!!!
D2AGE

6 comments:

  1. Lovely write up, really good. Single motherhood though challenging has its perks. You've got double the kisses, double the hugs and double the attention and you look at your son everyday and know you made the right decision.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know right! I worry about those questions too but can only hope she loves me still when I'm done and answered the questions. But as Iny said, its twice everything, good and bad. But what gets my eyes rolling to the back of my head is when adults ask that same question. You would be surprised at the number of times grown men and women come at me with that. I just smile and say a bird dropped her in my lap. *rolling my eyes*

    ReplyDelete